- The Black Keys – Nova Baby
- Phantogram – When I’m Small
- Phoenix – If I Ever Feel Better
- The Black Keys – Tighten Up
- Phantogram – Mouthful of Diamonds
- Baths – Lovely Bloodflow
- Baths – Heart
- Kanye West – Otis
- Two Door Cinema Club – Next Year
- Lana Del Rey – Gods and Monsters
- Arctic Monkeys – One For The Road
I’ve been chanting ang sang wahe guru 25 times a day long before I started practicing kundalini for an hour each morning. It’s one of the first mantras I learned and it has a special place in my heart. I used to chant it internally on the subway and whenever I felt anxious.
The mantra translates to: the universe is dancing within every cell of me.
“The word Ang Sang Wahe Guru is meant for destroying unconscious habits and unconscious thoughts for which we are not willing to go through the consequences.” – Yogi Bhajan
Chanting this mantra eliminates haunting thoughts. I’ve found it helped tremendously with my phobias and bouts with depression. It makes me feel more connected and at peace.
For the Modern Woman:
- Sync your camera roll to a folder on your computer. Delete everything off your iPhone.
- Donate all the books you didn’t read when you bought them.
- Empty your refrigerator. Buy the nicest bottle of olive oil, balsamic vinaigrette and wine you can find at the grocery store. And cotton candy grapes.
- Donate everything in your closet that doesn’t resonate with you at this very moment.
- Buy new bedding– pillows, sheets, duvet, everything.
- Box up old memories. Stash them, labeled in sharpie, in your garage.
- Pick up a film camera from the Melrose Flea Market. And expired rolls of film. Say hi to the owner at Rose 1 hour photo when you get them developed. And stop by DK’s donuts for a vegan donut.
- Drive down the PCH at sunset while listening to mantras. Stop to wade knee deep in the ocean. Make sure to get all the sand out of your car someday.
- Pick up a crystal from Spellbound Sky.
- Read a book about Feng Shui at Strand bookstore. Spend an entire Sunday cleaning and rearranging furniture.
- Wear all white and meditate.
- Send a postcard to mom and dad.
I’ve recently stepped into my power and finally grasped the concept of choice. Free will does not mean free from consequence, but I’m learning with every yes and no that nothing can truly make or break me. Anxiety can make you feel like every action carries the same weight, but perspective is important here. I think that questions like, “what would you tell your 16 year old self?” are pointless since obviously, you can’t. But the one thing I would tell my younger self is that nothing truly bad will result from you prioritizing your intuition and saying no to things that make you uncomfortable, be it a job or a person. You are under no obligation to entertain anyone or anything that brings you to a level that makes you uneasy. The universe doesn’t “reward” or “punish” you for your choices, from my understanding. Karma is frequently misdefined, used to instill fear. I’m tired of old narratives. Living without guilt is the most important thing to me right now.
What has decorated my July so far:
- Eve Babitz books
- Mondo Mondo Doll Perfume
- RA MA TV
- Vitamin C serum
- Foods For Health and Healing by Yogi Bhajan
- Rose candles
- Fluorite crystals
Back to our regularly scheduled programming tomorrow
Happy new moon in cancer! If there’s an ideal time for manifesting, it’s 3 days before and 3 days after a new moon. This new moon is an emotional one as cancer is the sign associated with home, family and nurturing. Along with this new moon is a solar eclipse.
Here are my manifesting tips:
- Write down a list of what you want to manifest. Be as detailed as you can. Manifesting isn’t wishing for something, it’s moreso allowing it into your life. When I want something to enter my life, I always set the intention along with the hope that it’s in alignment with my highest good and purpose.
- Visualize what you want and set a deadline. Be realistic at first.
- Focus solely on all the ways it can come to you. Don’t plant seeds of doubt.
- Live your life as if what you want is already a part of it. Try not to obsess and check. Let the universe take care of it.
- Be grateful for the state you’re in currently. Gratitude is the strongest magnet for blessings.
- Black Swans by Eve Babitz
- The Teachings of Yogi Bhajan
- Weetzie Bat by Francesca Lia Block
- Pink Smog by Francesca Lia Block
- Slow Days, Fast Company by Eve Babitz
- Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler
- The Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac
Here are 5 log ideas for your bullet journal!
- Abundance Log. Whenever I earn money, I write down when I received it as well as how much to show appreciation. Sometimes it’s easy to forget what we have. Counting your blessings instead of your problems makes sense when you write it all out for yourself.
- Gratitude Log. If I’m feeling low, I commit to writing 3 things I’m thankful for right when I wake up and before I go to bed. This helps me start my day off on a high note and it keeps my mind in the right place. Also, falling asleep with what I’m grateful for in mind has helped with my anxiety and insomnia.
- Synchronicity Log. Ever since I learned about the law of attraction and synchronicity, I’ve been seeing angel numbers. Repeating numbers like 111, 222, 555, etc. are all considered angel numbers. When I see these numbers on the clock or when I’m out, I make a note of it later in my journal. I also jot down the meaning behind each number sequence.
- Habit Log. When I want to instill better habits, I make a list of them and take it one week at a time. I’ll write M T W T F S or S next to each one that I check off for the day. It’s so satisfying to see the entire week filled in and it motivates me to be consistent. Eventually, once the habit is successfully integrated I no longer need to keep it on my list.
- Dream Log. I tend to have strange dreams depending on where we are in the moon cycle. I write down the gist of what happened and google it later. I like keeping track of my dreams to see if there’s a pattern or if anything ends up happening at a later date. I don’t have unrealistic dreams; they’re usually boring and things that could happen in real life, which is what scares me more to be honest.
I learned a new mantra today– the Siri Mantra or the Magic Mantra: Ek Ong Kar Sat Gur Prasad.
Ek Ong Kar Sat Gur Prasad, Sat Gur Prasad Ek Ong Kar
Translation: There is one Creator of all Creation. All is a blessing of the One Creator. This realization comes through Guru’s Grace.
The mantra for positivity, chanted 5 times, stops anything negative, removes all obstacles and brings great intuition. After chanting this mantra, anything you say will be amplified so refrain from speaking anything negative into existence for a while. Different mantras serve different purposes. There is a requirement for this sacred mantra– you have to be devotional about it. This isn’t one you necessarily want to use if you’re upset; however, if you’re in need of a movement of energy and recognize its power, it will cause a shift.