In the summer, I can forgo makeup but I can’t leave the house without a spritz of perfume. Scents are heavily tied to memory for me and perfumes are essentially bottled nostalgia. Here are my favorites through the years, in no particular order:
- Lush ‘Lust’ – The first perfume I wore everyday when I went to school in Malibu. It comes in a compact little tin that I always carried in my bag. It smells sensual and warm. Notes: dirty jasmine, rose, ylang ylang, sandalwood and vanilla.
- Byredo ‘Gypsy Water’ – I wore this all last summer so it holds a special place in my heart. It reminds me of driving to West Hollywood. Notes: bergamot, juniper berries, lemon, pepper, incense, orris, pine needle, amber, sandalwood, and vanilla.
- Mondo Mondo ‘Doll’ – My most recent love. It’s the perfect rose scent. I’ve tried Roses by Chloe and Diptyque Rose but they smelled too green for me. Notes: Bulgarian rose, rose de mai, saffron, musk.
- Le Labo ‘Jasmin 17’ – This one smells like fruity pebbles. I sprayed a little on my wrist when I visited a Le Labo when I first moved to New York. I forgot about it until I caught a whiff of my sweater a few hours later and I was like, what is that. I loved it so much my parents got it for me as a going away present. Notes: bitter orange, jasmine sambac, neroli, orange blossom, sandalwood, amber, musk, vanilla.
- Nemat ‘Vanilla Musk’ – I picked this up at Whole Foods on a whim and it’s one of my favorite vanilla scents. Lush Vanillary is a close second. It’s a little too sweet out of the bottle but it mixes with my skin chemistry really well.
- Glossier ‘You’ – This is the one I get the most compliments on. People have stopped me on the street, in elevators and tapped my shoulder while waiting in line at a bakery to ask what I’m wearing. It’s clean, inoffensive, perfect for work. Notes: ambrette, ambrox, musk, pink pepper, iris root.
- Tom Ford ‘Jasmine Rouge’ – My sister got this for me for Christmas. It’s definitely a going out scent. I love how this smell carries in the night air. Name a more iconic duo than Tom Ford perfumes and leather jackets. Notes: black and white peppercorn, clary Sage, sambac jasmin sepals absolute, ylang ylang, labdanum resin, amber.
- Lush ‘Sikkim Girls’ + Twinkle Apothecary ‘Mulholland’ Perfume – These two together remind me of Sundays at the Melrose Flea Market, drinking watermelon lemonade and looking at vintage jewelry under the sun.